Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lazy Saturday Afternoons

Day 65
I was up before 9 because all of the sites I wanted to visit closed just after lunch. While wandering towards the archeology museum I stumbled upon an outdoor market. This was when I realized that it was Saturday and these would probably be everywhere.





The museum was very expensive to get in and I decided to skip it. I've been to so many museums like this one that I couldn't see visiting another one unless it was going to be super interesting, or had something in particular that I wanted to see.





Instead I wandered towards the beach. It turns out that its more of a harbor. There was a large expanse of grass and scattered shade trees. I sat for a bit to write. Some guy tried to sell me a beach ball and seemed unduly angry when I turned him down.





When I had finished there I wandered past a flea market. It was mostly old jewelry and Italian books and held little interest for me. When I reached the bus station I got the info I needed for my trip the next day. I also grabbed lunch at a nearby cafe.





Eventually I found a very large market that everything you could ever want. All of the fruit and veggie stands had some type of food that was about 3 feet long and shaped like a cucumber. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was.





After stumbling on the remains of the Roman wall I meandered back towards my hotel. I had somehow missed the opening hours of the last place I wanted to visit. I guess the markets kept me busy. At the intersection by my hotel, called four corners, about a dozen people asked if I spoke English. It was odd to me that they would even think that I belonged there.





Soon, after picking up some snacks, I simply headed back. I didn't really accomplish much, but I had wandered in the sun for about 6 hours. I spent my evening packing my bags and updating my journal. Now that I had decided to write in more detail each entry was taking me forever to finish.

No comments: