Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Last Day Helsinki

Day 183
In my never ending need to visit odd museums I started off the day visiting the Tourism and Resturant Museum.


In Finland tourism began in the 18th century and was reserved for only the very wealthy. They mainly explored the northern parts of the country. Mass tourism began in the 1950s.

The first modern restaurant in the world was opened in Paris in 1782. Cafes are far older. In Finland refreshment stands were very popular for a long time. Ok, so it was a bit of a boring museum.

To continue the food theme I went to a Finnish fast food place called Hesburger. Mirva had suggested it. Its kinda like McDonalds, but it was way better. After eating I attempted to find the Helsinki History Museum, but I couldnt. Instead I went back to the hostel and took a nap.

I got up just in time to meet up with more of Mirvas friends, Katja, Sanna, Heli and Mira. We started out by looking at a kitsch Finish restaurant before heading to a wine tasting. It was quite cheap and really a lot of fun. I got at business card holder with my wine tickets, I used it to collect cards from each wine I tried.

When the wine tasting was over we headed to a place called Memphis for a Jolly Dragon meet up, this is sort of an international club. Mira had to leave earlier so only Katja, Sanna, Heli and myself were there. It was so wonderful to chat with other women who have traveled extensively.

Unfortunately I had to call it a bit of an early night, I had an early boat in the morning. I went back to the hostel and managed to sleep until one of my roommates turned on the light at 1 am to see if we were all there.

No comments: