Friday, September 5, 2008

Train to Nowhere

Day 177
It was odd when I arrived to Stockholm. Usually on night trains an announcement is made that wakes up everyone about 10 minutes before the final destination. This time there wasn't an announcement and it seemed to take everyone a few minutes to realize that the train had in fact stopped and reached its destination.

I found my hostel with no problems, it just wasn't opened yet. I ended up just sitting at the train station and reading for some time. I also contemplated a name for my pack. Any suggestions?

When I could finally drop my stuff off I ran back to the station. Today was the last day on my Eurail pass and I wanted to be sure to make use of it. My guidebook had mentioned that it took about 2 hours to get to Gothenburg. I didn't even think twice when I hopped on the next train bound there.

Four hours later I was still on that train. It had gotten to the point that nothing would be open when I did get there. I also couldn't travel after midnight. I gave up and just hopped on the next train back. I went straight to the restaurant car because I was hungry. It was there that I found out that I needed a reservation to be on that train. Crap. I had been really careful about this for the last three months because there is always a huge fine associated with it. Luckily the women who worked there didn't do that, I simply had to pay $10 for the reservation. However, the train was full and I would have to stay in the restaurant car. To be honest, I didn't care, I just wanted to be back in Stockholm before the day was a complete waste.

The guy sitting across from me started talking to me and before we got to Stockholm he asked if I would like to meet for drinks later. I didn't know what to do. He was way too young for me, but a night out in Copenhagen with a local seemed like a good idea. I decided to say yes, its just drinks anyway.

Back at the hostel I finally showered and got some laundry done. When I got to the bar a couple minutes early I ordered myself a drink. I waited and waited. After about 30 minutes I left. Apparently I had been stood up. It wasn't a big deal.

I ended up back at the hostel writing in my journal and chatting with a couple of Aussies in the hostel before just calling it a night. I had been a bit of a long day, even if it was all spent on trains.


Anonymous said...

You could name your backpack Pack-Rat....or Dora.


DresdenFae said...

Can´t be pack rat, I´m traveling with one of the smallest packs of anyone I´ve met. No room for messy. Dora might work though, will have to try it out!