Thursday, April 16, 2009

Making Changes

Day 401
I was up early for the soul reason that I had gone to be really really early. After packing up and checking out I headed out to find some breakfast. I'm not really sure what an Indian breakfast consists of, but I found a bakery and got a cinnamon roll. I ended up chatting with some people there for a while. A Portuguese girl was complaining about how much more expensive things were here than during her last visit. I asked if it was due to the decline in the value of the euro or if the
cost in rupees had risen, she said that it was mostly the former.

After breakfast I picked up a shirt that I had a tailor make a copy of (it had purple elephants on it!) and chatted with him for a bit. He then bargained with a tuk tuk driver for me to get me a really good price to be driven around for a few hours.

My first stop was called Ahar. I was shocked to see that I was the only one there. Ahar had over 250 white cenotaphs of the maharajahs of Mewar. I had thought that cenotaph meant grave, but found out that it was more like a memorial. This place was just stunning. I could not believe that more people don't bother to come here. The snowy domes had been built over a 350 year period. It was nice to get pictures without other tourists, but it sucked that I couldn't get one with me in it.

We then headed to the Mandi fruit and spice market, passing a colorful wedding party on the way. I felt bad taking picture of people at the market so we left pretty quickly.

Next up was the Saheliyon-ki-Bari, a small ornamental garden that had come with a princesses dowry. The fountains were really lovely, even though there was a dead rat floating in one of them. In the back was a small historical museum where a few guys were trying to get people to buy wooden brain teasers.

Instead of going straight back to my hotel I had the tuk tuk driver drop me off at a restaurant called Savage Garden. I had some fabulous pasta and sat there for some time writing. All of my India entries seem to go on forever. After a while I found an internet cafe and organized my photos.

By the time I had finished my blogging stuff it was time for dinner. I tried to work on my itinerary, but was really having some problems figuring out what to do. I ended up back at the internet cafe because the guy who worked there was friendly and also a travel agent. He kindly went over my plans with me and helped me to make a few decisions. I then booked a couple of train tickets with him so that I wouldn't have to worry about them later on.

When I got back to my hotel I read for a bit before heading to the bus station. I was going to be on a sleeper bus. While I was waiting I met two Turkish girls who asked me if I had a single or a double. I was about to have a panic attack and could see myself refusing to share a bed with some strange man and the whole thing making a scene. As it turned out a had a single that had a sliding, locking door on it. The ride was bumpy, but I still managed to sleep after a while.

No comments: