Monday, April 28, 2008

The Cordoba Code

Day 47
We had checked out and were up early to catch the 8 am bus to Seville, and then on to Cordoba. The bus that turned up was broken and we had to spend some time waiting for a replacement. While we waited we chatted with 3 American girls who were teaching English in different towns. Talking to them took up the entire 3 hour trip to Seville and made the trip a lot more fun.


After a quick lunch we were on the next bus to Cordoba. Most of everything was closed due to the time and because it was Monday. Still, there was plenty of daylight left so we decided to do the quiz that the tourist office had. Basically we were each given a sheet with 6 questions. We would need to follow the clues around the city to answer each of them.

We mapped out our route and were off. It wasn´t long before we had stopped for a churros with chocolate break. In Tarifa I had managed to trip over something and twist my left leg. I think it was worse than it would have been because I was carrying my pack at the time and the added weight nearly caused me to fall. It hurt, but I was ok walking around. While we were looking for one of the answers I managed to walk into a pole, hitting the same leg for a second time. Al took a picture of the pole.

The clues lead us through parts of Cordoba that we would have never seen. We passed cute little squares and churches with little tourist interest. We found frescos that we would have never even noticed if we hadn´t been looking for them. My favorite was a small courtyard with a statue of a matador in it. We managed to answer all of the questions but one. It was about what type of tree was in the courtyard of an old palace. We didn’t have access to the courtyard and no one we asked seemed to know.

After dinner of pork chops, Al wasn’t feeling so great so we decided to call it a night. I was pretty tired myself. We had been traveling at breakneck speed and I think it was catching up to both of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are as clumsy as ever!!!

Love, Mom