Thursday, May 8, 2008

Castles and Clouds

Day 56
As I was walking out the door to explore I met an Aussie named Brett who was headed to the same sites as I was. After walking up what seemed like a million steep steps it looked like we had actually gone too far for what we had come to see. Still, there were signs indicating that we were headed somewhere and we figured that we might as well just continue to go up.

It turned out that there were actually two castle-like structures in Malaga. We had found the Gibralfaro. This was built in the 14th century and was in an advanced state of decay. It was built to protect the Alcazaba further down the hill. The structure seemed blocky and dis jointed to me. The best part was a scale model of the city. I was pretty happy that it cost less than a dollar to get in.


After the Gilbralfaro Brett and I headed down to the Alcazaba. This was a Moorish palace as well as a small city. The structure dated from the early 14th century, but had been mostly rebuilt in the 1930s. We had great views over Malaga, but once again I was glad that it was cheap to get in.


Brett and I had lunch before parting ways. He headed off to find a gym and I went back to the internet cafe to get some more work done.


That evening I layed low at the hostel. I needed to be up early. When everyone headed off to the beach to drink I turned in.

No comments: