Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Day 115
Today was my day to see Nice and it was a hot one. It was also laundry day. Due to this I was forced to wear jeans as they were the least smelly item of clothing that I currently owned. I dropped my things off at the laundromat and headed out for the day.



To get to the Matisse Museum I had to spend about 45 minutes walking up hill. I was an extremely hot person by the time I got up there.

Much to my delight the small museum was free and sorta air conditioned. Everything on display here was either created by Matisse or part of his personal collection. Some of his first works were here. He practiced by copying older paintings in the Louvre. Seeing those paintings was quite interesting. It was really easy to see how his work evolved and became his own.

While I was near the museum I also visited some Roman ruins. The plan had been to make lunch at the hostel and then head to the art history museum. This didn't quite happen. I was just so hot and uncomfortable that I couldn't go all the way down there. I ended up taking a nap and then spending a bit of time at the internet cafe. It wasn't long before it was time to pick up my laundry and get myself ready for a night out.

Around 6 I met up with Laura. We headed to the old town for dinner. At the first place we sat down at a rather rude waitress told us to come back in an hour. We grabbed a drink and wandered a bit looking at prices. In the end we liked the prices at the first place and went back. The waitress said 'it look like you two survived.' Looking over the menus we couldn't find the dish that we wanted. At this point we realized that we had been looking at the menu at the place next door. We left and the waitress followed us out and yelled at us for leaving. I'm kinda glad that they didn't get any of my money.

After dinner we wandered along the beach and got some ice cream. Laura got olive ice cream of all odd things. After another drink we decided to call it a night. Luckily we were only staying one block from one another so neither of us had to wander Nice alone at night.

No comments: