Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lithuania 1, Kathryn 0

Day 201
When the bus stopped it took me a minute to realize that I had arrived in Klaipeda. The bus was meant to arrive at 5:30 am, but we got there at about 4. I had no choice but to walk to the hostel and see if they would let me in. Luckily the girl working there was really nice. I couldn't get a bed, but she let me sleep on the sofa for a few hours. I actually tried to do some bloging because the internet was free, but it was a very slow computer and I just didn't have the patience. I fell asleep with my sleep sheet and coat as blankets.

Around 9 am people started waking up and I was too cold to sleep any longer. I was able to check in and got a bed from an early departure. I didn't want to hang around though, I wanted to see Klaipeda. Yes, it does sound like a std to me too.

I didn't have a map and I got really lost trying to get downtown. Eventually I found it though. I was disappointed to see that because it was Sunday the tourist office was closed. No map for Kathryn. I then found a building with a giant spider on the side of it. When I found the history museum I was really irritated to find that it was closed on Sunday and Monday.

On the way to the brewery I found a market. It was a bit quiet but there was still stuff to check out. Some people seemed like professionals, while some were selling mushrooms that probably came from their backyards. When I got to the brewery I was really irritated to find out that it was closed as well.

I had no idea what to do with myself at this point. I just walked back to the hostel. On the way I found a bridge with a bunch of padlocks on it. They had names and dates, all from 2008, on them. I have no idea why.

Back at the hostel the girl there suggested that I go to the mall. I would be able see a movie and get a new book there. They also had a pharmacy. My allergies had been bugging me and I knew that both of my ears had small infections.

This was the biggest mall that I had seen in a very long time. There was a bowling alley, a skating rink, a pool hall, and loads of restaurants. After getting a movie ticket I went to the book store and took my time picking something out. I then spent about an hour on the internet, just screwing around.

At the pharmacy I was able to get some ear drops. I also picked up a long sleeved shirt and ate at a Hesburger that looked like an Aztec temple. One of the restaurants that I didn't eat in had live chickens in cages.

After the movie I went back to the hostel and spent some time online before calling it a night.

No comments: