Friday, October 31, 2008

Trick or Treat

Day 234
We were up late due to both jet lag and pure laziness on my part. Eventually we got our act together and went for lunch at a place with fre
e wifi.

Rose had brought a Rick Steves guide book with her and we went to the old town square to read what he had to say. We admired the Gothic, rococo and neoclassical buildings. We even popped into the Tyne Church for a moment. Just as Rick had said, there were a lot of signs telling us what not to do, no pictures and no touching and no walking on things. I would have liked to have a picture of the last one.

We wandered around the Jewish area for some time. The entrance fee to the museums is really high, but I have heard that they are quite interesting. There are a lot of things here. Hitler wanted to create a museum of what he planned would be an extinct race; therefore he had some of the Jews in the ghetto collect objects. All of those who helped amass the collection were later killed, but their work lives on. Even though we didn’t go in we did get a small look at the cemetery.

After some dinner we headed back to the hostel to get ready it was Halloween and there was no way we weren’t going to celebrate it. We both wore dresses and had on wigs, I was blue hair and she was pink hair.

Back in Warsaw I met a guy named Martin. He had sent me an email a few day before about a party at a hostel so ways out of town. After a long walk we finally got there. Martin had put together a costume from the hostels left clothes bin; this included a pair of women’s underwear. I wonder if they had been washed. Rose and I got a little bored of the all traveler crowd and said goodbye.

Our next stop was really just a return to the Red Hat. Not too many people were dressed up here and we were a bit silly looking. We met an American who was studying in Prague, he suggested a club that was a ways away, but that would be all locals.

Next thing I knew we were the only people dressed up. Cross Club was a bit crazy but there were certainty no tourists. For some reason it had never dawned on me just how late it was. We took the metro back around 7 am; the commuters were giving the wigged girls some really funny looks.

I think first thing in the morning is the only time that the old town square is empty. It’s really too bad that we were too tired to take it all in. When we got back to the apartment I basically collapsed into bed, it had been a good night, but it had perhaps gone on a little longer than expected.

No comments: