Sunday, November 30, 2008

Modern Singapore

Day 264
Once again I was up early. I don't know how long it will take me to get used to this time zone, but I hope that it happens fast. After breakfast I headed to the internet cafe to kill some time. Apparently nothing opens until after 9 am.

The first order of business was to get myself a bus ticket to my next destination. This took a bit of shopping around, but I eventually found a seat on one of the cheaper carriers. I had air con, but no personal tvs. I think I can go without the tv to say a few bucks. Once I had my ticket I went to the downtown area. I wanted to see what modern Singapore looked like.

Along the river were statues representing Singapore's past. There was a giant ox and a few boys jumping into the river. Next to refurbished colonial buildings there were massive and modern high rises. Somehow it all seemed to work well together. There were also some tropical wicker reindeer.

I then headed to Merlion Park. In the 1960's someone decided that there needed to be a tourism symbol and came up with the weird hybrid lion fish thing. I can't believe something this odd came from a country that had outlawed drugs. Despite it's crazy appearance I kinda liked it and had my picture taken in front of it.

Next up was Orchard Street, the main shopping street. I needed a couple of tank tops and after a lot of searching I found some. Exhausted I decided the best way to kill the afternoon was to see a movie. This turned out to be a very good idea. It had been pleasantly sprinkling all day, but in the afternoon the skies opened up and it poured.

When the movie was over the rain was gone and I walked the length of the street back to my hostel. Along the way I passed a lot of kinda corny Christmas decorations. They were calling it Christmas in the Tropics. It all seemed out of place to me.

After some more blogging and dinner I spent a bit of time with some people at the hostel before packing. I had to call it an early night though to catch my bus and soon went to sleep.

No comments: