Saturday, November 29, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Day 263
I was up before six again. This jet lag is really killing me. I can't wait until I get on a more normal time frame again. After having some breakfast I spent a bit of time in the internet cafe watching tv and working on blog.




I decided that today was the day to head to the zoo. I had heard incredible things about it from people for quite some time now and was itching to check it out for myself. I even decided to take the zoo bus instead of the much longer but not that much cheaper public transport. In just about 30 minutes I was there.


Immediately I was impressed by how green and wooded it was. You would think that I was in a tropical jungle or something. All of the animals looked really happy, even the croc's seemed to have smiles on their faces. Several monkey species had free run of the park. It was odd to hear a tree shake and look up and find one only 15 feet above my head. I always moved away quickly though, I don't think standing under a monkey for too long is a great idea. A lot of the animals were sleeping the heat away, I can't say that I blamed them. Most of the while tigers (I think this is my first time seeing any) were sleeping, although a few were passing for unknown reasons.

As usual I spent quite a lot of time with the monkeys. I really would like to have one. Well, that or an ostrich. One group of about 50 were particularly entertaining. The young ones kept running around and chasing each other. I think some of the older ones were yelling at them to calm down. They were also jumping in the water. I had no idea that monkeys could swim. I also managed to see their lunch time. Lots of green things were just dropped from above. It seemed like they wanted to get covered by their food before eating it because they all stood just where it dropped.

After some more monkeys I found the turtles. Some of them were massive and they were sunning themselves. They were so cute! I wish that I could have pet them, but I bet they bite. Next up were the elephants. One of them even had spiky hair!

The kangaroo bit was fabulous. They had free range and I think that I could have pet them if they were in the mood. As I was I did managed to get some really good close up pictures.

The butterfly house was amazing. I got to see a sloth move with carrying her baby. Considering that they only move one kilometer a month that was pretty special. There were also some slightly faster lemurs hanging around. Oh yea, and some bats that were close enough to touch.

At this point I realized that my camera battery was close to dying. I had forgotten to bring my spare. This is the first time that I have done this. I was pretty annoyed with myself and had to be careful about what pictures I took. Luckily I was just about finished and had seen most of the animals in other zoos before. The last few animals were lions, giraffes and outrages.

Before heading out I grabbed lunch at one of the stalls. Singapore zoo was by far the best zoo that I have ever been to. In fact, I don't know if I will ever bother to go to another zoo again. I guess that the next time I see animals will be in their natural habitat on safari in Africa! Or maybe on an elephant trek in Thailand!

My original plan for the day was to go downtown for a bit before heading back to the hostel. Without a new battery though that was pointless. I decided to extend my stay in Singapore just one more day. I had only had two days to sightsee here so I don't really know why I was itching to leave. I guess it is because of how westernized it is, I think I am reading for something really different, or perhaps a bit challenging.

Back at the hostel I worked on the blog a bit and my plans for my next stop. I really wanted to try and get over the whole jet lag thing so I tried to keep myself awake by showering. This didn't really work. I ended up taking a really ill timed nap and waking up around 10pm. I killed some time at the internet cafe before I was finally tired again.

No comments: