Sunday, January 25, 2009

Monkey On My Window

Day 319
I slept in a bit and then took my time eating and checking my email. I wasn’t going far so I wasn’t in a rush.

When I got to the bus station I realized that nothing was in English. The script used is completely incomprehensible and I am basically traveling illiterate at times. Most people here do speak English and I found the right bus in no time. Once I was on the bus a woman came by charging everyone 20 baht and gave out receipts. Before we left a kid about 12 or 13 took over the ticket giving job. About 20 minutes after he left he came and asked for me 40 baht. I told him that I didn’t mind paying as long as he could tell me what the 20 baht was for and showed him the receipt. After discussing it with the driver he told me that I didn’t have to pay again but couldn’t explain to me why there was an issue in the first place. I don’t think that he was trying to rip me off either; everyone else seemed to be paying 40 baht when they boarded the bus.

Lopburi isn’t much of a tourist destination and I didn’t have a map. I asked several people if they knew where the hotel I was looking for was, but no one seemed to recognize the street. I figured that it was a small one, but found out later that they just didn’t understand the question. I found a hotel anyway, and might have lucked out because I got a tv with some English channels! Plus there were monkeys hanging outside of my caged in window. They didn’t seem so interested in me when

After some lunch I decided to save the sites for another day and just wander around a bit. I found some monkeys on a couple of streets. They were hanging on the windows, on the telephone poles and blocking the sidewalk.

Eventually I got bored and went to the internet café for a bit. When I came out there was a large night market set up. I walked down the stands and picked out all sorts of different things on sticks. I have no idea what I ate, but it was all good.

Back in my room I spent a lot of time watching Fox News. Around 2 am I opened my window and about half a dozen monkeys ran towards me. It kinda freaked me out and I quickly shut the window.

No comments: