Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Reflections

Day 302
I was up before 3 am and quickly finished packing. It was much easier to get a cab than I thought it would be. In no time I was at the airport. It was still closed but there were a lot of people around. It looked like most of them had come straight from the bar. When I did get on the flight I fell asleep instantly.

The last 29 days in Indonesia have been some of the best in my trip. Well, all except for the jungle mishap. The only reason I even did the trip was because I was a bit nervous about being on my own. I just didn't want to say it at the time. Indonesia is a place that I will definitely be returning to in the future.

The worst part of Indonesia was the garbage. No one recycles let alone uses a bin. It makes some of the most beautiful sites lose their appeal. I did find out that several NGO's are working on that so hopefully that will change in the future.

The best part was the people. They were friendly and chatty and over all just nice people. I did get a few odd questions though, one guy asked if Obama was the only black man in the US, another if everyone looks like me there.

I woke up when the plane touched down. Immigration back to Malaysia was a breeze and in no time I was at my hostel. As soon as my stuff was in the room I headed to the Thai Embassy. Since I arrived in Asia Thailand has changed it's visa rules. It used to be that you received 30 days upon arrival, now it is just 15. I'm just too tired after rushing around Indonesia to do it again. Getting a visa for Thailand will give me plenty of time to see the country. Unfortunately I got there just as the embassy was closing. A guy offered to sneak me in for 30 ringget but then he pulled the necessary paperwork out of his trunk. This felt really sketchy and I decided to just wait until the next day.

Afterwards I went back to my hotel and spent some time on the internet. When I got bored I headed to the mall for a movie. I don't like KL and I did all the things I had wanted to see here on my first trip through. This is really just killing time time.

When the movies were over I headed back and after showering I went up to the rooftop bar at the hostel. Not much was going on and soon I just went to sleep.

No comments: