Saturday, February 7, 2009

Misdirection

Day 330
I got up early, but it took me longer than expected to pack so I ended up catching the 9 am instead of the 8 am bus. I paid extra for air con and was really upset when it didn't work. The windows didn't open and it was so hot that I felt like I was cooking in my own sweat. The road was really windy and the driver was going really fast. This all combined made for the highest level of motion sickness I have had on this trip.

Even worse, they didn't stop where I was told they would. I caught the mistake about 40 miles past Vang Vieng. The driver didn't understand what I wanted but luckily a girl at the restaurant we stopped at did. I asked her where the bus stop was and she drove me down there on her motorbike. I tried to give her some money but she refused. She also made sure that I got on the right bus.

After waiting through that buses break for about 40 minutes it was another 30 minutes before I got to Vang Vieng. From the bus station I grabbed a tuk-tuk to the hotel that Nicole was staying at. I didn't have to worry about having a place to stay because Nicole had reserved a room for me. I found her hanging out at the restaurant when I arrived. I was there about 3 hours after I should have gotten there and in desperate need of a shower. An hour later I was ready to go.
Nicole and I spent some time comparing itineraries. It turned out that we both had the same ideas of where we wanted to go. For dinner that night we went to a place that played episodes of Family Guy. We sat there until they closed. Our plans for the next day required us to wake up at a descent hour, so after watching a movie at the hotel we called it a night.

No comments: