Saturday, May 30, 2009

Long Walk

Day 445
I was up early and after a quick breakfast at the hostel I headed out. My goal was to walk around much of the West Lake while stopping at the random attractions around it.

The first park I came to was called Liulang Wenying It's known for having a lot of weeping willow trees. I liked the pond better. It was teeming with turtles! When I was done I then headed to the Suid Causeway, stopping momentarily to check out a carp pond.

At the end of the causeway I stopped for a really yummy lunch of sweet and sour pork. Next up was the Mausoleum of General Yue Fei. He lived from 1103 - 42. Despite winning many key battles the king had him executed, he's apparently a pretty big martyr in China. There were several sections to the mausoleum. One had poems that he had written while in prison, another was a room depicting key moments in his life.

Shortly after heading down the Baidi Causeway I found Wu Song's tomb. This was followed by Su Haoxiao's tomb. The latter died of a broken heart in the 5th century. Her ghost is said to haunt the area. The next tomb was Qiu Jin. I have no idea who that was.

After poking my head into Zhongshan Park to check out some statues I headed to the small Provential Museum. Not much was in English so I breezed through it.

At this point I was getting really footsore and I still had a long way to go. By the time I had gotten back to the hostel I had been walking for almost 7 hours. I had thought that I could book my train ticket thru the hostel, but had to go right back out to the train station. It took me 45 minutes to walk there. Luckily I had no problems getting a ticket. I also managed to get a cab back to the hostel.

After a shower and some dinner I hung out with some other people in the hostel over beers.

No comments: