Saturday, January 10, 2009

Choices

Day 304
As soon as I woke up I quickly got the last of my things together and left. The bus station was only a few minutes walk away and I picked up breakfast and some snacks on the way. I didn't want to eat junk food for the entire trip like I usually do and picked up some fruit instead.



I slept for most of the ride but did manage to get a bit of reading done. When I got to Hat Yai I had two choices, either go the rest of the way to Krabi and arrive around 1 am or stay in Hat Yai. I was tired of doing nothing and even though I had already spent about 8 hours on a bus. In the end I decided to go for it and get to Krabi.

I had a few hours to kill before the next bus and went for dinner. I really wanted to have some Thai food but I didn't want to chance getting sick on another long bus ride so I went to Pizza Hut. Oddly, they were out of pizza and I had a salad instead.

I had been assured by the guy who sold me the bus ticket that the bus station was right in the middle of town and that I wouldn't have any problems find a place to stay. This wasn't true at all. The bus dropped me off about 4 kilometers from the center of town and all of the hotels. I had the choice of walking there at 1 am on a street that I didn't know, or I could go with the only guy around offering me a ride on a motorbike. There weren't any cabs around at all. I went with the latter option.

The hotel I had wanted to stay at was shut for the day so I had to keep looking. The first place that was open offered me a room on the 6th floor with no elevator for 250 bhat. There was no way I was walking up and down all those stairs. I went up the street a bit more and found a room for only 100 bhat and I wouldn't need any stairs at all. That seemed perfect.

As soon as I was in the room I went to sleep. It had been a long day.

No comments: