Monday, April 27, 2009

Denied

Day 412
I got up early and walked for ages before I found a place opened for breakfast. When I was done I checked the time and realized that I really had to hull it to get in line at the Chinese Embassy and grabbed a tuk tuk. Once there I waited in line with several other tourists. When the doors opened they told us that we were all in the wrong spot and that we needed to go elsewhere.

I ended up splitting a tuk tuk ride with an American and a local. After waiting for ages at the right embassy it was my turn. I gave her my paperwork and she asked if that was all I had. Apparently I either needed a letter from my employer or an exit ticket, I had neither. I explained that I didn't want to get the exit ticket yet as I didn't know how many days I would get on the visa and hadn't done my China research yet. She told me that if I didn't have an exit ticket that I would stay in China. I pointed out that I am American and that there is no way that I would want to stay in China when I could live in the US. This didn't really help. I decided to not even submit what I did have and try again in Hong Kong. Apparently it is much easier there.

The American named Kevin was also denied and we decided to drown our sorrows at the American Embassy, McDonald's. After lunch we split up. He headed to do I don't know what and I went to the train station to find a way out of Delhi. No one at the station was helpful so I went to an internet cafe and simply booked a ticket online. I also worked on my blog for a bit.

When I was done it was close to dinner time so I went to a nearby bar that some people from the line at the embassy had told me about. I ended up running into them and spending some time chatting with them until the bar closed at midnight.

No comments: