Monday, May 18, 2009

Not Recommended

Day 433

After waking up I grab bed some breakfast at the 7-11 and double checked my metro route. Today I was headed to two small walled villages in an area known as the New Territories. The HK metro system is unbelievably easy and the bus route was easy to understand as well. I had a bit of trouble finding Kat Hing Wai, but the first person I asked directed me the right way.



Kat Hing Wai is meant to be the best preserved of dozens of walled villages in the area. The walls were built in the 1650's. I really thought that it would be like taking a step back in time. The entrance fee was HK $3 but the smallest I had was a $10 coin, this is about US $1.30. I figured no big deal and put it in. The first disappointment was that the local elderly women were quite aggressive about trying to get me to pay HK $10 to get pictures of them. They were dressed just like elderly women in the US so I declined. Inside was a complete disappointment. The walls might have been old, but the houses were only about 30 years old. The whole thing was on a mini grid plan and I wandered it all. There was a small temple, the best part were the lounging cats.

Afterwards I tried to find the other nearby village but ran out of signs at a highway interchange. It was also very hot so I just gave up and went back. I had spent about 1.5 hours and about $10 to get to Kat Hing Wai, what a waste. When I got back to my hotel I used the internet for some time before meeting up with Godot for dinner.

Dinner was at a chain called the Spaghetti House, it was ok. After we ate I went back to my hotel and watched Little Britain.

No comments: