Monday, July 13, 2009

On the Train Again

Day 488
My alarm went off early and I packed up the last of my things. There was a Finish couple who had an airport taxi at the same time. There was some confusion but we eventually sorted it out.Once on the train I fell asleep quickly.

The toilets on the train aren't so bad. It's just that they empty out onto the tracks. Due to this the doors are locked just before, during, and just after each station. I had the misfortune of waking up just as we were pulling into a stop really needing to pee. It ended up being one of the longer stops where you can get out and buy stuff from people selling things on the platform. I ended up lying on my bed just counting the minutes. Finally the train started. About 10 minutes later I went to stand by the toilet door. Five minutes later I was still there. I then decided to just ask the provodnista to open the door. I said toilet, which in Russian is pronounced to-a-let. My teeth were really floating at this point. She didn't understand. I pulled out my guide and pointed to it in Russian, still no comprehension. The provodnista then had me follow her to see if the provodnista one wagon over could understand me. They then both started asking to see my ticket. I had reached panic mode. Luckily someone who spoke English walked by and was able to explain to the provodnista what I needed. Finally!

I passed the day sleeping and reading. At one of the stops they were selling stuffed animals that talked. I hate these things, they give me the heeby jeebies . A few years ago an old boyfriend of mine gave me a white bear that begged for hugs and had light up cheeks for Valentines Day. I had to hide it in the closet. For unknown reasons loads of people bought these dumb things and were playing with them for about 30 minutes. I had to hide in my iPod! Eventually it grew dark and I fell asleep for the night.

No comments: